The Autism Association of WA will be running TalkAbility™ The Hanen Program® for Parents of Verbal Children aged 4 to 9 years with Autism Spectrum Disorder on the Autism Spectrum in Term 4, 2019. This program will be run by Hanen certified speech pathologists.
This program shows parents how to foster the higher-level language and social skills that are essential for the best outcomes in their child.
In the TalkAbility™ program, parents learn to help their young child with autism spectrum disorder:
- take appropriate turns in a conversation and then wait for others to take theirs
- tune into what people say without words in a conversation
- understand how other people feel and respond appropriately
- learn how to play with other children and make friends.
Why choose TalkAbility™?
- TalkAbility™ translates the research on social communication development into concrete strategies that are easy for parents to understand and to build into their child’s daily routines.
- A comprehensive and easy-to-read companion guidebook is provided for continued reference at home
- Opportunity to connect with other parents
- TalkAbility™ is an evidence based and reputable program
For more information about TalkAbility™, visit www.hanen.org.
What does the TalkAbility™ program include?
- TalkAbility™ Parent guidebook
- 5 Group parent training sessions (2.5 hours each)
- 2 Individual video sessions (1 hour each) during your child’s centre session
- Up to 2 participants per family (participants must have a significant, ongoing role in caring for the child with autism)
- Participants are required to attend the full program
Details of TalkAbility™
- Venue: Autism Association, 9 Sayer Street, Midland
- Day and time: On Fridays – 9:00am to 12:30pm starting from the 25th of October until the 6th of December (Term 4)
- Funding: This program is an eligible service under DSS funding or alternatively can be paid for privately. Some families may have received funding as part of their NDIA or WANDIS plan.
To find out more information, or to book your place, please contact your Key Therapist or alternatively email email@example.com.
Please note that we require 3-8 families in each group for the Hanen program to be facilitated. We will try our best to ensure that you attend the group of your choice, however please be aware that they are subject to availability.