The Autism Association of WA will be running More Than Words in Term 2, 2019, The Hanen Program® for Parents of Children aged 6 and under with Autism Spectrum Disorder. This program will be run by Hanen certified speech pathologists.
More Than Words provides parents with practical and powerful strategies to help their child communicate and interact during everyday routines and activities.
Who would benefit from More Than Words?
The More Than Words program will benefit parents of children who:
- have limited or emerging communication skills
- have difficulty interacting with the people around them
- have difficulty engaging in back and forth interactions.
In the More Than Words® program, parents learn to:
- identify how their child is communicating right now and the next steps to take
- identify how their child learns best and how to make the most of these preferences
- turn everyday activities into opportunities for learning to communicate
- talk so that their child can understand them
- develop their child’s play and interaction skills.
What does the More Than Words® program include?
- More Than Words parent guidebook.
- Five group parent training sessions (2.5 hours each).
- Two individual sessions (one hour each)
- Up to two participants per family (participants must have a significant, ongoing role in caring for the child with Autism).
- Participants are required to attend the full program.
Details of More Than Words®
- Venue: Autism Association, 9/210 Winton Road, Joondalup
- Day and time: On Mondays – 6:00pm to 9:00pm starting from the 6th of May until the 17th of June (Term 2)
- Funding: This program is an eligible service under DSS funding or alternatively can be paid for privately. Some families may have received funding as part of their NDIA or WANDIS plan.
To find out more information, or to book your place, please contact your Key Therapist or alternatively email email@example.com.
Please note that we require 3-8 families in each group for the Hanen program to be facilitated. We will try our best to ensure that you attend the group of your choice, however please be aware that they are subject to availability.