The More Than Words® Program was designed specifically for parents of children ages 6 and under on the Autism Spectrum. The program provides parents with the tools, strategies and support they need to help their children reach their full communication potential.
TalkAbility™ is designed specifically for parents of verbal children ages 3 to 7 with Autism. This program shows parents how to foster the higher-level language and social skills that are essential for the best outcomes in their child.
- Five group parent training sessions (3 hours each).
- 2 hours direct coaching with the Speech Pathologist
- 2 hours planning
- Up to two participants per family (participants must have a significant, ongoing role in caring for the child with Autism).
- Participants are required to attend the full program. Parent guidebook included.
Telepractice version of the More Than Words® and TalkAbility™ Programs offers the programs online. The Telepractice model allows you to attend the program from the comfort of your own home and interact with your child in an environment familiar to him/her. A Telepractice program is similar to taking an online class. The parent-only sessions are live, and you log in to a videoconferencing software that makes it easy to interact with your speech-language pathologist and the other parents in the group.
There are separate video feedback sessions for just you and your child, when the speech pathologist records you interacting with your child while you apply the strategies you have learned. You and your speech-language pathologist then review and discuss the recording, which helps you identify what’s working well and what you can modify to help your child even more.
What you need:
- A computer or a tablet (smartphones and cell phones do not have a large enough screen for you to see the slides or the other parents in the group)
- High speed internet
- Email access
- Adobe reader (free download)
- Printer or scanner or photo capture and transfer (if you want to print out the handouts)
To find out more information, or to book your place, kindly complete the expression of interest form below – or alternatively you may talk to your Key Therapist or contact our First Steps team: email@example.com or (08) 6380 5500.